Filed under: good wishes, itinaries of desire, joyful heterogenous culture, my dear city, travel
“je n’y ai passé que 2 semaines, mais oui, une ville formidable. En fait, plus une ville. Une étendue qu’il faut explorer avec beaucoup de temps. Le centre historique est évidemment une perle de concentration de couches historiques et les artefacts culturels sont époustouflants. Un basculement météo et tu passes d’une cousine du Caire à la soeur de St-Petersbourg.
Et puis les Istanboulites, dont certains disent qu’istanboul is home of nobody, sont agréables et accueillants. Ils ont une expérience de l’entre-deux pleinement incorporée. J’y retournerais avec grand plaisir.”
for a post for there as I am back here. I have to activate my own Mage, like the one i’ve seen at Beaubourg, dreaming again about a general public. It’s all about love: That’s what I said on the stage with Imad Wasif in Vienna, celebrating our 20th issue Trixie.
i’m with friends on a stage, right before the beggining. It’s thrilling, we are still deciding on what to eat as we have a birthday to celebrate. We decide to eat mussels, moussaka and papardelle with salmon. Then we got in the sides. We decide to be a different band for each song. One of us got on stage, to introduce us, and apologises for the mess on stage – it’s because we can’t stop working. Our last band is called the auteurs.
It was a dream. and I remember now how powerful a dream is, and what it means to have a dream. To be something, to do something. It’s a genuine sensation. It’s impossible to stop and flows through my whole body.
I called my friends from the magazine we are doing, a zeitschrift based in Vienna. We’ll do it, like we change font for each issue, like we do grusicals. it’s gonna be great. be there or be square
These are the notes I took from a conference by Stephen Graham at the world-information.org, In/Visibility, Access and Urban Zoning Paris, May 30 – 31, 2009, which happened one year ago some streets away from my actual floating residency in Paris, before i’ll settle in the studio by the Cité des Arts in Montmartres.
Questions of mapping and their subjective possibilities interested me earlier (Bustour in Wien, Les Roncières, Europe Squares (Berlin-Calais), and the latest “Matters” series). Graham opens another dimension of mapping, critically working on the effect of the new information technologies and city control.
Here the raw notes:
- military origin of digital techs
- Ryan Bishop on the connection of global city network & revolution military affairs
- Brian Holmes names it the “imperial infrastructure”
- colonialism & surveillance (foucault_boomerang effect of experiance at borders being brought back into the metropolitan. For ex. the panopticon)
- from the frontiers to the troublesome metropole
- what is the asymetric relation? -> see S. Sassen’s conference
- Battlespace: no defined battle front and permanent
- new acronyms: military operations other than war = MOOTW
- Alan Felman: moving to a division of safe and unsafe between circulation. new type of sovereignty emerges against “malign” mobility.
- Richard Florida’s creative industry of US northwest now related by surveillanc tech. ind. as latest manifestation of the industrial-military-entertainment-complex
- what does it mean for cities: merging of architecture of control with information sys of control. Passage-point urbanity
- He finishes his talk by saying that despite the depressive content of his report, he notes that there are many self organized groups working on the issue and civil liberties.
just another cake from our global experience:
rhum, chocolate & raisins cake
for 6pers (like the one i made)
1 small bag of baking powder
1 small bag of vanilla sugar
125g of raisins
125g g of dark chocolate chips
now the recipe
- start by putting the raisins to bath in the rhum in a separate bowl, they should be covered
- Beat eggs and sugar in the main bowl, add a pinch of salt
- Drain the raisins, and pour the rhum into the eggs and add the flour and the yeast to them.
- Melt the butter and pour it on the raisins, mix well.
- Add to the main bowl:
the vanilla sugar to the dough
the buttered raisins grapes
the chocolate chips
- Pour into a buttered loaf pan
- Cook 35min in the preheated oven thermostat 5/6 (cover with aluminium foil the cake if the caks got golden too fast)
And for the accompanying music, i recommend the following Djay (intel based software).